Breaking News

Kenyan Court Rules Arshad Sharif Killing As Unconstitutional And illegal

Kenyan Court Rules Arshad Sharif Killing As Unconstitutional And illegal

The family of Arshad Sharif, a slain Pakistani journalist, has been awarded 10 million Kenyan Shillings (Rs 21.7 million) by the High Court in Kenya’s Kajiado County, according to Kenya Media.

Arshad Sharif was fatally shot by Kenyan police in Tinga, Kajiado County, on October 23, 2022. The police later claimed it was a case of “mistaken identity.”

Read more: Aleeza Sharif, Arshad Sharif’s daughter, makes her TV reporting debut

The Kenyan High Court ruled that the shooting of Sharif by the police was “arbitrary and unconstitutional.” Justice Stella Mutuku stated that the shooting violated Sharif’s “right to life, right to equal benefit and protection of the law, and right to dignity,” as reported Kenya Media.

The judge ordered the government to compensate the family with 10 million Shillings for the loss of life, although this payment was suspended for 30 days to allow for a potential government appeal against the decision.

Justice Mutuku found that the respondents, including government officials, violated the family’s rights through their actions. She also ordered that the family be kept informed about the investigation’s progress and that appropriate action be taken against the responsible police officers.

The ruling followed a lawsuit by Sharif’s widow, Javeria Siddique, who accused Kenyan officials of delaying the investigation and keeping the family uninformed. The lawsuit named several officials, including Attorney General Justin Muturi, Inspector General of Police Japhet Koome, Director of Public Prosecutions Renson Ingonga, and the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA).

Arshad Sharif was a passenger in a vehicle when he was killed. The police claimed they mistook his vehicle for another that had been stolen from Pangani. The police chief later admitted that officers “fatally wounded” Sharif in a case of “mistaken identity.”

The court concluded that Sharif was subjected to torture and that his life was unjustly cut short.