Detecting locationโ€ฆ
Breaking News

Indonesian Quake Leaves 12,800 Displaced as Aid Efforts Continue

Indonesian Quake Leaves 12,800 Displaced as Aid Efforts Continue

JAKARTA: Thousands of people displaced by a powerful Indonesian quake are waiting for emergency assistance.

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Indonesia early Saturday. It killed 53 people and injured more than 100 others.

Rescue officials said there were no confirmed reports of missing people. However, thousands remain unable to return to their homes.

By Monday morning, around 12,800 people had been displaced across several towns on Flores island. The figures were provided by Indonesiaโ€™s national disaster agency.

Many residents spent a second night outdoors due to fears of further earthquakes. Hundreds of aftershocks have continued to shake the affected region.

Residents in Mbay, near the earthquakeโ€™s epicentre, built temporary shelters using tarpaulins and poles. Some families have been sleeping in these makeshift camps.

Several homes were badly damaged or developed major cracks. Many residents said their houses were no longer safe to enter.

Some families only return home briefly to collect essential belongings. They then return to their temporary shelters for the night.

The disaster has also revived painful memories among local residents. Flores suffered another 7.7-magnitude earthquake in 1992.

That earlier earthquake triggered a tsunami and killed around 2,500 people. The memory has increased fears among communities affected by the latest Indonesian quake.

Residents have also expressed frustration over the pace of relief efforts. Some displaced families said they were still waiting for tents, food, medicine, and drinking water.

Emergency Aid Reaches Affected Areas

Indonesiaโ€™s Air Force has started delivering emergency supplies to affected communities. Thirteen tons of aid are being transported using military aircraft.

The supplies include food, clothing, clean water, and emergency medical equipment. Helicopters are also being deployed to reach isolated communities.

Military personnel have been assigned to assist with aid distribution. The operation aims to reach people who remain cut off from normal services.

Many survivors said they fled their homes without essential belongings. Families are now relying on temporary shelters and emergency assistance.

Rescue teams are continuing search operations across the affected region. Officials are using both ground teams and helicopters to inspect damaged areas.

The earthquakeโ€™s shallow epicentre was located off Flores islandโ€™s northern coast. Geological authorities confirmed the location following the disaster.

At least 914 houses suffered severe damage across the island. Hundreds of other homes also sustained lighter damage.

Several public buildings were affected by the earthquake. These included schools, healthcare facilities, and government offices.

More than 8,000 children are also facing safety concerns and education disruptions. Save the Children highlighted the risks facing children in affected communities.

Indonesia is highly vulnerable to earthquakes because it lies along the Pacific Ring of Fire. The region experiences frequent seismic activity.

The country has faced several major earthquakes and tsunamis in recent decades. A 9.1-magnitude earthquake struck near Sumatra in 2004.

The resulting tsunami killed around 220,000 people across the region. Indonesia accounted for approximately 170,000 of those deaths.

Authorities are now focused on rescue operations and relief distribution. Displaced residents continue to wait for support as aftershocks persist.

In other news read more about PM Shehbaz Expresses Sorrow Over Lives Lost in Indonesia Earthquake

The latest Indonesian quake has left thousands facing uncertain living conditions. Officials are expected to continue relief efforts across Flores in the coming days.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
WhatsApp

Sehar Sadiq

Trending

Latest