Detecting locationโ€ฆ
Breaking News

Threatening Letters Spark Security Boost at Sydney Mosque Ahead of Ramadan

Threatening Letters Spark Security Boost at Sydney Mosque Ahead of Ramadan

SYDNEY โ€“ Police in Australia opened an investigation after a threatening letter was sent to one of the countryโ€™s largest mosque sites in Sydneyโ€™s west. The incident comes just weeks before the start of Ramadan, raising safety concerns among the Muslim community.

The letter was delivered on Wednesday to the Lakemba mosque, the Imam Ali bin Abi Talib centre, and contained disturbing imagery and threats against Muslims. This marks the third such letter received by the mosque in recent weeks.

Authorities said the envelope included a crude drawing and violent language targeting worshippers during the holy month. Police have seized the letter and taken it for forensic analysis as part of their ongoing probe into the threats.

New South Wales Police have increased patrols around the mosque and other religious sites. Officers are also monitoring community events to prevent further incidents and protect places of worship.

A 70โ€‘yearโ€‘old man was charged earlier this year in connection with a previous threatening letter sent to the mosque. Police have not yet identified the sender of the most recent threat.

The Lebanese Muslim Association, which runs the mosque, has asked the government for additional funding. Leaders want more security guards and CCTV cameras to safeguard worshippers, especially during Ramadan when attendance increases. Around 5,000 people are expected to visit the mosque each night during the month of fasting.

Local officials acknowledged growing anxiety in the area and urged residents to remain vigilant. Sydneyโ€™s mayor said community members, including families, are worried about safety and have reconsidered attending mosque events due to the threats.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned the string of threats and called for calm and respect among all Australians. He said intimidation against people practising their faith is unacceptable and that authorities must act firmly against such hate incidents.

The rise in threatening letters follows a nationwide increase in reports of antiโ€‘Muslim incidents since a deadly mass shooting at Bondi Beach in December 2025. Several community groups have recorded a substantial spike in hateโ€‘related events, contributing to heightened concern among religious minorities.

In other news read more about Thousands Pack Al-Aqsa Mosque for First Taraweeh of Ramadan โ€” See the Powerful Scenes

Officials say the investigation is ongoing, and police are encouraging anyone with information about the threats to come forward.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
WhatsApp

Sehar Sadiq

Trending

Latest